Monday, June 7, 2010

Finally learning....

So, a long time ago when I asked Josh for some advice on workouts since I would be "on my own," he said that I could use some of the ones that he and I did and I would eventually figure out what "works for me." I am FINALLY realizing what that means. Because we are all made and built different, different workouts are absolutely necessary from person to person--we can't ALL do the exact same thing. For instance, broad/wide shoulders do NOT run in my family. So that is one area I have had to work hard to see growth in (and I have grown some, especially when I look back at my oldest progress pics, I can see how much they have developed). What DOES run in my family are decent calves, chest, legs, and biceps! So I have seen quick progress in all of those areas.

So, obviously.....my shoulders have continually been the one thing that in looking at pictures of women in this sport whose look I desire or NEED if I want to compete at the pro level, I realize I am lacking (that and a 'smaller' lower body--which will come in time as I continue working hard and leaning out). But I had this revelation last week. MAYBE for now until I have an "off season" and a chance to really build and grow because I'm in a caloric surplus, not deficit, I need to adjust my workouts. What I am thinking is that perhaps one reason my shoulders appear less broad is because my biceps/triceps are already pretty developed and are making my shoulders appear smaller.

For a few weeks, I am going to stop isolating biceps and triceps. They will still be getting worked when I do chest and back exercises, but I am going to devote my "arms" day solely to shoulders. I am really curious to see how this turns out. I will never know unless I try and I really don't feel like I have anything to lose in trying something a little different with my workouts.

My overall workout plan right now is a 6 day split with a focus on heavy weight for about 2 weeks, then a lighter weight/higher rep week:

Chest/Abs
Back/Calves
OFF
Legs
OFF
Shoulders

I devote a day mostly to back because that is another area I need to improve as I aim to compete with the pros. If you have questions about specific workouts, let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Pretty cool feeling when the "light bulb" finally comes on, yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, yeah....I am a little slow, so it takes me awhile to realize these things. Especially now that I don't have a trainer. I'm on my own!!!

    ReplyDelete