Saturday, September 4, 2010

Update on Injury

Well, I have spent the last 8 weeks or so recovering from tendonitis and IT band syndrome affecting my right knee, thigh, hamstring, etc. It has been frustrating because I was told to stop doing all leg workouts, deadlifts, and any cardio that made it hurt, which, as it turned out was everything.
Even swimming was bothering it. I have been going to physical therapy and finally started feeling the inflammation going on. I gradually increased my cardio and am pretty much able to do all of that again. I have not added a lot of hamstring work back in and my leg workouts are not nearly as intense yet, but I am getting there.

Obviously this put the pro debut on hold, but I am ok with it. I will be stronger and wiser than before, because I know now some things to do that will prevent this from happening again.

FIRST and foremost, you MUST stretch. I did not ever stretch after or before those really intense leg workouts and I really should have been doing that. Part of my physical therapy has been just increasing the flexibility in my right leg, mainly the IT band.

Second, I will not increase the weight unless I absolutely think I am ready. As Josh told me, any weight can be effective. So I will not stress about reaching a super heavy weight as long as I can feel that the workout has been tough and has really worked the muscles.

I am really looking forward to getting back in full swing. The next competition will be May 7, 2011!!!!! Pro debut!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. U own a foam roller? If not...get one and use that as part of your ITB stretching routine. I've owned one for a couple of years now and it has helped me tremendously with my IT band issues..good luck!

    Oh..the other thing that I've done to help - alotta glute focused sessions (fire hydrant, etc). That strength development has also helped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, actually, I DO own a foam roller. It's quite ghetto--in fact, I will post pics. I made it. lol But yes, it has helped me a lot, too. I love it!

    ReplyDelete