Friday, July 1, 2011

It's not the AMOUNT of time that matters....

It's what you do in the time at the gym that does.....

One of my favorite things about working with Team K is that I have LOTS of carbs in the diet! (One high carb day, one medium,the rest low...but still higher than I consumed during my entire competition training last year).

The next favorite thing is the fact that I still have time for "real life." I love it when people ask me, "So how much time do you spend here every day?" I just smile b/c I know they are expecting to hear..."Oh, hours...I have to come back twice a day to get it all in."
But no. I am never there for much longer than an hour and that includes my cardio. I do my 40-50 minute workout that gets my heart rate up and keeps it up, and then I go do 10 minutes of high intensity cardio. ONE day a week, I walk for 30 minutes. Now, we will change that as my body adjusts, I'm sure, but I'd say that's pretty bearable! I workout every other day, so my body has time to recover. But if I need to adjust that b/c of work or just general life happenings, I have room for flexibility.

So often, we got on such a strict, time consuming routine, that we leave ourselves with little margin. So when life happens and our workout gets interfered with, we get discouraged and quit. My advice for all of you is to not get caught up with the "over-training" mindset. To make your workout shorter, but more intense, do super sets (two different exercises that you alternate between). This keeps your heart rate up......I could go on and on...but the point is....Quality TIME is better than a huge quantity of time.....and don't do more cardio time than weights time. In fact, do MORE weights time than cardio time. Muscle burns fat ALL DAY LONG. Cardio does it for the simple amount of time that you're doing it. So obviously....strength training is a must!

No comments:

Post a Comment