Sunday, April 24, 2011
Who taught you that????
I was watching a girl workout in the gym the other day, and I found myself seriously fighting the urge to walk over and help her. She was doing one arm rows--the kind where one knee is propped on the bench, the other leg is straight, and you have a dumbbell in your hand. It's great for the lats.....but NOT the way she was doing them. When I say "jerky" that is really an understatement. She was yanking that thing up and down and throwing her elbow as if she needed it to get to the ceiling. I was seriously concerned about her throwing her back out. So it made me want to remind everyone out there---if you don't use proper form, you can REALLY get hurt. PLEASE make sure you have someone teach you how to use weights and do certain exercises, because if you're doing them wrong, it could damage something permanently. I think next time I will go over and correct it......what do you think? If you were "that girl" would you want to be corrected? Or would you think I was being rude?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Typically I approach poor form quietly but confidently and ask if they'd mind if I gave them a tip. I've never been told no, and they usually appreciate the feedback. Some will ask if I'm a personal trainer or what my background is. I remind them that nobody's perfect. If my form slipped, I'd be grateful if someone knowledgable let me know, and even ask them to spot me next set. The only exceptions are teenage boys because that's usually ego and not ignorance. I call them out on their form as loudly as possible right in front of their buddies. "Keep those feet planted, Hercules! If you can't do it right, you're using too much weight."
ReplyDeleteI'd want correction. I'm sure if you approached someone the right way they'd be thankful. There's always room for improvement!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the input guys. I think I will correct it next time :)
ReplyDeleteYeah I think its fine for you to help her. Just start off by like complimenting her about something (for example attempting such a hard machine or something) and then suggesting that it works even better if she _____________. I had ppl gives me tips back at Mercer that I still use today. haha :)
ReplyDeleteGreat idea, Megin!!! Just like with my students--point out the strengths first, then correct. Nice! Oh, congrats on the marriage! You looked beautiful in the pictures :)
ReplyDelete