Thursday, December 2, 2010

Renewed Focus

Last year, when I began my "fitness journey," I didn't really know what I was getting myself in to. I have always loved working out, but it was a totally new adventure and it turned out I loved it. What most of you do not know about me is that even though I have wanted to do a figure competition for YEARS,one of the main reasons I FINALLY did it is because I have had an eating disorder for the last 4 years. I reached a point of desperation and frustration because I knew that the stupid disorder was the only thing holding me back from my fitness goals. It was the strangest thing that happened when I started training. I lost ALL desire to continue with the unhealthy habits and LOVED the incredibly hard work a competition requires. A lot of people looked at me and were like, "Wow, you are so dedicated, You won't even eat the fruit I am offering or have just one bite." But I was absolutely determined to reach my goal and to prove to myself that I did not need a stupid eating disorder to rule and dominate my life. The PROBLEM with all of this was that I was doing this on my OWN will, thinking "I can be strong" instead of realizing it was not me at all. It was God THROUGH me. I have no doubt that this lack of giving glory to the One who is worthy is why immediately after my competition, despite my aching desire to do another one, I got injured. God said "Ok, you think YOU are in control? I can take this away in a heartbeat." So I had a solid 8 weeks off to really think and get my priorities straight. I dealt with the heart of my eating disorder--SIN--and realized that God had given me this body and love of fitness for a REASON. NOT to glorify myself, but to glorify HIM through it. HOW? By recognizing that by his grace I have been rescued from the sin in my life, by his strength I can make it through each and every "dieting" day and workout and never even think about eating the way I used to, and by his power, I can, will, and HAVE conquered the awful hold FOOD has had in my life.

Over the last few months, I have experienced healing in my life in more ways than one. My leg got better and better as I continued to heal emotionally from the scarring of the sin in my life.

As I approach my second competition, I have a renewed focus. ONE focus. To glorify Jesus. For rescuing me, for giving me the strength to compete, the health to compete, and the desire to share with others that we CAN be rescued from sinful habits and learn how to take care of the amazing body He has given each of us. As I finish this post, I am reminded of the lyrics of an old song:
"To God Be the Glory, Great things He has done."

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for being so open! Good luck with competition number 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate to the way food can become an idol or a source of sin in our lives. For me, having to cut out so many (basically all) of my favorite foods due to Daniel's many allergies has opened my eyes to how much I leaned on those foods for emotional reasons, when I should have been leaning on God. I think He wants to remove those things that have become crutches for us so we then turn to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading, Abby--and for the good luck!

    Erin, I can't even begin to imagine your struggle just from the little bit my mom told me. Have been praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete